Thursday, August 28, 2014

Failing Up



8 x 8 oil Available here Lilacs on LeDoux


I really didn’t get it right.  I was excited to find the two beautiful lilac bushes flanking the door near the Blumenschein Home and Museum* on Ledoux Street in Taos.  I set up my plein air easel and quickly set about painting.  After two hours of struggle it was clear I had a failure.    The composition was dull—one, two, three things in a row.  The middle was a gaping dark uninteresting rectangular door, the wrong focal point--not the flowers, the whole reason for the painting!  The painting was 95% dark.  The brushwork was heavy-handed. I was disappointed and disheartened.  So distraught I destroyed the painting. I had come to paint lilacs, and, by-gum, I was going to get these lilacs!—just not today.


Photo of the first composition try.

 Of course, part of my problem, was in not thinking before painting. If I were to make progress I was going to have to look at this mistake and find the roots of it. First, I chose to paint the scene from the most comfortable vantage point (shade and level ground), not from an interesting composition vantage point. Bad me! Second, so worried about losing the light late in the day, I didn’t take the time to work out a few small sketches.  Finally, had I thought any about what my teachers had taught me? I went back to lessons on compositions, about light versus dark, about balancing warm and cool, and about finding some exciting place for a spark of unexpected color.  What was I trying to say in the painting? After reconsidering these, I went back later in the week.  The result is my failing up “Lilacs on Ledoux.” (top)

A lesson learned in the hot and dry western land is not soon forgotten. You’ve got to use your brain when you paint.

Postscript* The Blumenschein Home and Museum is an appropriate place for a “failing up”, of making progress as a painter.  Ernest L. Blumenschein was  one of the New York and European trained artists who settled in Taos, NM in the early part of 20th c and founded the Taos Society of Artists.  Though it was disbanded about the time of the Great Depression, he and its members are largely credited with making Taos the artist colony that it continues to be today.

Thank you for reading. I'd like to hear from YOU!  Please leave comments and questions. Please share with your family and friends. 

My paintings are available at Sheffield Art Studio in Cary, NC and online and now, if I have paintings on auction, at Daily Paintworks auctions (see above.)

 . . . And by contacting me at the following links:

My Facebook Art Page 

No comments:

Post a Comment