Tuesday, May 26, 2015

What the Beach Breezes Stirred Up



Palm Breezes. 12 x 12 oil Available here

Tropical Storm Ana was forming in the Atlantic, but things were calm in Ft. Lauderdale where we’d driven to visit our son’s family, especially his beautiful new daughter. A walk along the Ft. Lauderdale waterfront under palm trees and clear star-filled skies should have been serene. But things were stirring within me. We’d spent the afternoon at Nova Southeastern University Art Museum  at two of their exhibits:  Kahlo, Rivera and Mexican Modern Art Exhibit and Pablo Picasso: Painted Ceramics and Works on paper, 1931-71.
.
The Mexican Art exhibit included a wide variety of vibrant expression, including surrealism, abstract, fantasy, and realism in a wide range of materials. The Picasso exhibit was similarly invigorating with the range of elegant, animated, and humorous drawings presented alongside the ceramics.  I felt all the works were similarly bold and direct whether they were about private or civil statements.

Seeing these paintings was like having the sea breezes reach right into the building and blow away cobwebs. I became excited to try new subjects and new materials. Since returning to my home studio I’ve been inspired to work with materials languishing in my cabinet (oil pastels, cold wax and gouache/opaque watercolor.)  I’m especially strengthened in my resolve to work on issues in my own style that I have long wanted to achieve, such as a bringing to it a more linear style with direct and simplified form and color. I was impressed by these shows how the sense of line and volume filled up the space. Finally, I’m encouraged to get more personal--to dig back into my own heritage and see what I can put into my future work. I’ll be trying new themes and subjects, maybe Celtic folktales and dreams. I may do more urban and industrial subjects (remember, I’m a Detroit “girl”.)  

 
Service Is Our Business #2. 12 x 12 Oil and Cold Wax. Available here.



And playing more!   

 
Cabana Life 7 x 5 oil Available here.

   
Art is fun when it’s about evolving and exploring  . . .that’s what's blowing in the wind!

 
If you want to be the first to know about exhibits and discounts, sign up for my NEWSLETTER email list on the home page of Sheffield Art Studio.

Thank you for reading. If you enjoy my essays, please share with your family and friends.  I’d like to hear from YOU!  Please leave comments and questions. 

My paintings are available at my studio in Cary, NC, online at Sheffield Art Studio and at my Daily Paintworks Gallery (see also clickable link above right) 

Please LIKE me at my FACEBOOK Fan Page.

Fine Art America FAA link to bottom http://1-sarah-sheffield.fineartamerica.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment