Tuesday, July 28, 2015

What Will Art Be Like In 100 Years?


Red Rock Beauty  18 x 18 Wrapped Canvas Available


Slow Down for Wildlife!

Everything slows down in the summer.  As uncomfortable and even dangerous as the heat may be, the cycle of slowing down is one I’ve always thought we should obey. 

One of the joys I have is associating art with walks and rejuvenating vacations. I recently saw the sign, “Slow Down for Wildlife” in a county park.  I know they meant it as a safety warning, but it’s good advice for painters. When we were walking the desert paths in Arizona, we might have missed the beautiful blooming cactus tucked in the hillside if we’d hurried by.  I’m glad we slowed down to find this cactus I painted and named Red Rock Beauty

Slow Down to Paint!

It seems lately every art-related email I receive is about “speeding up”.  “Quick draw” competitions and “paint-outs” are very much promoted during this time of year.  These events require artists to paint outdoors for controlled time periods. The emphasis on painting quickly seems to be gaining momentum as a standard for painting, emphasizing that capturing a “singular moment in time” is superior to studio painting.—or superior to that of developing a painting outdoors over several days.  These events have many positive aspects, but I consciously work to overcome the frenzy I feel and strive to restore the meditative quality that is so special about developing a painting.  Do I really want to paint fast?  I keep reminding myself: a deliberate, thought out stroke is preferable to three impulsive ones.  

Industry Is Primary 8 x 8 Oil on Panel Available

Slow Down to Experiment!

Another joy I have in painting is the freedom to experiment.  When I try something new, I learn things about myself. I develop a language for expressing my experiences. After many miles of painting, my experiences are leading me to focus and simplify, as you can see in this latest painting Industry Is Primary.  I am increasingly moving toward a strong abstract quality in my representational work.

Experimentation demands breadth and scope.  Frequently marketers and art consultants tell artists to limit and narrow their work to a singular medium, singular subject, singular audience, etc.   If the limitation is done too soon, it prevents an artist from developing an authentic and personal style. In the course of investigating here and there, an artist may, indeed, eventually come to concentrate on a single subject or medium, but it will be “natural” (based on discovery), not engineered.

Lately I’ve been fortunate to view the works of Picasso, Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, and our native North Carolinian Claude Howell. They all investigated different art materials and painted varied subjects; they painted both in the studio and outdoors. They traveled and studied.  I believe this is still a model for the future.

So, what will art look like in 100 years?

Technology will undoubtedly speed up reproduction, distribution and access.  I hope there will be more profound discoveries in chemistry and in light and color which may lead to new pigments and materials; maybe there will be art that extends our physical and sensory knowledge; maybe there will be more interactive art.  I believe, regardless, that it will be achieved through the old model by artists who have a need to slow down and take a diverse and creative path.

What do you think?

A portion of my sales go to support bee/pollinator conservation.  Why?  Because I add beeswax to my oil paints, paint and consume the beautiful flowers, fruits and vegetables that bees and other pollinators provide.
If you want to be the first to know about exhibits and discounts, join my NEWSLETTER updates email list on my home page here.

Thank you for reading. If you enjoy my essays, please share with your family and friends.  I’d like to hear from YOU!  Please leave comments and questions. 

My paintings are available at my studio in Cary, NC, online at Sheffield Art Studio and at my Daily PaintworksGallery (see also clickable link above right) 

Please LIKE me at my FACEBOOK FanPage

Follow me on Instagram  

No comments:

Post a Comment