Monday, February 22, 2016

What Are You Really Good At?




Community Watch watercolor 5 x 7 matted to 8 x 10 Available


Community Watch

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon in south France, a special 40th wedding anniversary trip with other painters to picturesque Frayssinet.  Since little was open on Sunday, we attended a small local flea market in a nearby town where modern “gypsies” living in RV’s set up stalls, not unlike our flea market vendors in Raleigh. We roamed the stalls, but came away without any souvenirs or even ideas for paintings.

Afterwards we drove to another charming town, Salviac. We ended up in a main plaza, where all roads seemed to lead. Here, like bees swarming around the plaza, our group of painters was abuzz taking reference photos for future paintings−vintage buildings, doors, alleys, and flowers. The plaza held a tavern, a church, cafes, shops, a beauty salon, second story apartments, and a WWII memorial.  Exhausted, we sat in the shade in the plaza.  Looking up through the branches of a tree, I spied the friendly face of a grandmotherly woman looking down at us from above her flower box of bright red geraniums. We exchanged smiles.  The light caught across her face as she rested her elbows on the sill. I instantly knew the painting I wanted to do. (She happily agreed to a photo.) 

This woman knew the story of her town.  I saw no malice in her knowing. If I were Detective Hercule Poirot, she’d be my “go-to” woman!

I’m often asking myself, when I look at my work, what are its strengths and weaknesses?  I usually focus on technical aspects. The best painters excel in technical expertise, yet reveal individual expression.  What qualities do I have that will help me reveal my artistic individuality?


Originally a student of cultural anthropology, I’ve always been interested in my community. My curiosity has led me to wandering the neighborhoods of all the places I’ve traveled to or lived in.  Different seasons and different times of day yield so many subjects to paint!  Whenever possible I take the most direct means to explore, walking.  Though I’m naturally shy, by taking the bus or subway I’ve learned to talk to strangers, and found out about local places. I believe my curiosity about my community gives me an open eye to a variety of subject matter, and usually a number of good stories as well.



Sometimes I don’t always understand why I select a subject, it just “appeals” to me.  But then later I recall an associated memory.  I hope my paintings do this for my viewers.  In the last few years I’ve consciously tried to develop the story-telling aspect of my artwork.  I like my paintings to suggest a story to my viewer, and I like to write stories about my paintings, such as the story associated with the little watercolor Community Watch above. (more information here)



Cultivate the qualities that make you distinctive.



A portion of my sales go to support bee/pollinator conservation.  Why?  Because I add beeswax to my oil paints, paint and consume the beautiful flowers, fruits and vegetables those bees and other pollinators provide.

Thank you for reading. If you enjoy my essays, please share with your family and friends.  I’d like to hear from YOU!  Please leave comments and questions.

To know about exhibits and discounts, join my NEWSLETTER email list here.



My paintings are available at ---
802-A N. 4th Street, Wilmington, NC 28401 and online at Sheffield Art Studio
Please LIKE me at my FACEBOOK FanPage
Follow me on Instagram     

No comments:

Post a Comment