Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Focus


"Then and Now", maybe I should re-title"Focus"Available here


Sometimes the Journey As Artists is about internal journeys; sometimes about actual travels. Sometimes they are the same. The month of September involved some travel to the coast of North Carolina to Southport and Wilmington for outdoor painting events. Most of the journey was stationary in my art studio where I was focused on painting 30 paintings in 30 days when I took Leslie Saeta’s daily painting challenge. 
 
30 oil painting.  Most available here

What did I learn or relearn from this almost single focus in my life?
  • that my family is incredibly supportive of my painting when little else is accomplished (I already knew this, but it was tested again),
  • that many scenes around us are wonderful subjects to be appreciated—keep your eyes open,
  • that I should keep drawing . . . fill in the blank for yourself here (You’re neither as good as you need to be nor as bad as you think you are!),
  • that practice (in whatever you choose) builds confidence,
  •   that discipline counts—(don’t kid yourself that painting is not work—even though it may also be fun and gratifying),
  •    repetition develops better, more efficient work habits (thank you Henry Ford)
  •   that painting requires problem-solving skills and stamina (yes, stamina-stay in shape physically!-walk or something), and,
  •  you’ll surprise yourself with tangible progress in the short 30 days.
 
Plein air paintings at Wilmington's 275th Birthday Celebration on last sunny day

The repetitive practice I had established in the studio really helped me in the outdoor painting events.  I found I was seeing, deciding and laying out the designs much quicker, an important skill in painting outdoors. 

The plein air events were uniquely different, one quite sunny and hot (Southport), and the other hazy, overcast and cool (Wilmington).  While the coolness of Wilmington was so much more comfortable, it was a much more challenging painting situation.  Overcast lighting does not change (good), but it also means low contrast and close values (tricky). It’s difficult to get “pop” into your painting under these conditions.

Now that the thirty day challenge is completed, I am trying to maintain the discipline, but also taking time to reflect on where to go from here.  I am focusing now on researching how to handle overcast light conditions and will try to subject myself to those conditions again to improve. 

I don’t expect that most of you reading this will undertake a 30 day painting challenge, and truthfully, I’ll think twice about it again myself!  Nevertheless, focusing steadily on your passion has some remarkable benefits.

The journey continues!

I’ll be sharing stories of Key West in the near future.


If you want to be the first to know about exhibits and discounts, sign up for my NEWSLETTER email list on the home page of Sheffield Art Studio.

Thank you for reading. If you enjoy my essays, please forward to your family and friends.  I’d like to hear from YOU!  Please leave comments and questions.  

My paintings are available at my studio in Cary, NC, online at Sheffield Art Studio and at my Daily Paint Works (see also clickable link above right)

Please LIKE me at my FACEBOOK fan page.

No comments:

Post a Comment