Tuesday, December 16, 2014

All About Vision and Voice



"Gentle Mooring" (in progress) oil on panel 24 x 24 Thanks to fellow artist G. Wade Carmichael for the name!
 Soon after arriving in Key West, stories started unfolding for me about creativity, imagination and vision.

Of course Key West would attract all manner of artists.  Some of the most noted are the following: John James Audubon, Mario Sanchez, Winslow Homer, Ernest Hemingway  and Jimmy Buffett.  Key West has much to offer the visual artist, “eye candy” in flora, fauna, architecture, and year-round painting weather.  Galleries and street artists are plentiful.  

After thinking about my own art history while investigating the lighthouse and my grandfather’s circa 1970 lighthouse painting, Walt and I walked across the street to the Hemingway House and Museum on Whitehead Street.  Outside the entry gate, there we were introduced to the very interesting Scott Gruppe′, grandson of Emile Gruppe′ and of the extensive Gruppe′ artist family.  “Which one do you like?  Which one do you like?” the kinetic artist bounced around asking. He was selling his colorful, unique, and expressive figure drawings on the street. He was surprised I was familiar with his grandfather’s work. Was he happy with his own?  I couldn’t tell. His work is unlike the work of others in his family.  I was left to wonder the journey he’d taken to arrive at his own “voice” or style. (We were happy to buy one for its own appeal.)
Six-toed cat
Standing outside the bricked walls of the Hemingway House, we were enticed in by the sneak preview of the six-toed cats lounging within (not all interests are art!). A meandering tour found me fascinated by his studio and my new knowledge to another side of this most famous writer.  To admit my ignorance, I had not known he had an extensive art collection and life-long appreciation and association with masters of American and European painters.  It was exciting for me to learn that he educated himself to this visual language to enrich and hone the way he would use words to conjure an image. As luck would have it, one of the artists of profound influence on him, Joan Miro′, has a show currently at the Nasher Museum near me in Durham NC through February 22, 2015.
Sunset celebration performer
Our short trip didn’t allow time for discovering more about the many artists associated with Key West--Audubon, Sanchez, Homer, or Buffett, but many current street performers at the “Sunset Celebration” offered imaginative entertainment.
"Robber Rooster" Available here 4 x 4 oil on panel
Cackle and crow.  One sight and sound ever present underfoot you can’t miss in Key West is that of chickens and roosters. Before you even know, they’ll jump up on a café table and rip the lettuce right out of your sandwich!


In my next issue on Key West, see how I tie together stories of Presidential retreats, key lime pie, Manatees, and walks through botanical gardens.



If you want to be the first to know about exhibits and discounts, sign up for my NEWSLETTER email list on the home page of Sheffield Art Studio. 

Thank you for reading. If you enjoy my essays, please share with your family and friends.  I’d like to hear from YOU!  Please leave comments and questions.  

My paintings are available at my studio in Cary, NC, online at Sheffield Art Studio and at my Daily Paintworks Gallery (see also clickable link above right).

 Please LIKE me at my FACEBOOK Fan Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment